You’ve decided to start a blog or website. How do you get people to visit, though? There are many different factors and most people start with limited or no funds available for traditional advertising. While we are talking about increasing blog traffic, it is important to note that content will always be your main focus. No matter how many steps you take to increase your traffic; if your content is subpar and uninteresting, your visitors will not return and your battle for traffic will never end.
Improve Your Posts for Blog Traffic
Since content is the primary driver for traffic, you need to make sure that your posts are working for you.
- Make sure that your posts fit the niche that you are working in. This is important to make sure visitors know the purpose of your blog. It will also help them decide whether they are interested in returning to learn more information later.
- Make sure you are posting enough (but not too much). Start by adding content slowly, maybe once or twice per week. Once you get some regular traffic, you can increase and decrease your posting frequency, while monitoring your traffic, to find out the perfect number of posts for your blog’s visitors.
- Of course, we have to talk about SEO (search engine optimization). Starting your blog with SEO-optimized content will save you so much work in the long run. Make sure that you are optimizing your posts for SEO now, rather than waiting and having to rewrite your posts.
- Make sure your best posts are featured at the top of your blog or website. This way, you can draw new visitors in with the best of the best.
- Promote, promote, and promote some more. Use social media to your advantage to promote your posts. Make sure that you make it easy for interested visitors to go smoothly from your social media to your blog by including links directly to the post you are promoting.
Publishing On Higher Traffic Websites
Hopefully, you are already posting links to your blog and self-promoting on social media sites. There are other places that you may not be aware of that you can post your articles for more reach.
- LinkedIn is a platform primarily used for networking between professionals. This is a great space to gain some visitors, even more so for those blogs that focus on professional development.
- Medium is another platform that can be used to publish your writing. By using sites like Medium, you can expand your reach and possibly make some extra cash by doing so.
- Quora offers a chance for you to answer niche-specific questions that you have answers to. Make sure to search a variety of relevant questions and add a link to your blog, especially if you have a specific post to link to!
Email Marketing to Increase Your Blog’s Traffic
Email marketing is a huge way to gain repeat visitors, which is what you are ultimately after. You are always going to want to gain new visitors, but your regular following is what is going to help your blog succeed. By capturing emails and being able to notify your interested followers of new posts or weekly activity, you will be able to stay in their minds and bring them back to your blog.
Fix and Improve Any Technical Traffic Problems
Technical problems can quickly lose many followers, so this is something you don’t want to sleep on. Make sure that you are fixing any issues that come up with your site and continue to improve the technical aspects of your site to keep up with the demand.
- Increasing the speed of your website is something that you want to focus on pretty early on. Would you stay on a slow website that is having trouble loading images or videos? You would go back to Google, search the topic you were interested in, and find a different blog.
- Optimize for mobile devices. Most of your visitors are going to be using their phone or tablet, especially if they are coming from social media. You want to make sure that you aren’t losing out on traffic because your blog doesn’t work well or look good on a phone or tablet.
- Make sure you are checking and updating your blog posts to prevent any error pages. If a visitor follows a link to an error page, they most likely aren’t going to stick around. Stay on top of this by revisiting your links and making any necessary changes if you move, delete, or rename your posts.
Include Internal Links
One of the easiest ways to keep visitors on your site is to include relevant internal links, leading them from post to post. The idea is to create a way for visitors to easily move from post to post without having to go back to your home page. This makes it easy for visitors to go through various topics without having to put forth any effort. If a new visitor has to put forth too much effort to find more content on your blog, they will leave after reading the article they came for.
Allow Your Traffic to Easily Market for You
Make sure that your blog has links to share your post on social media. This is a way to get free advertising and more social media reach. When visitors like a post and share it on their social media accounts, you are increasing your reach on that particular site to people that share interests with the person sharing.
Paid Methods of Increasing Your Blog’s Traffic
While most of the methods we have mentioned are free, there are ways to increase your traffic for a fee.
- Paid advertising allows you to get your name out in front of people. You can purchase different types of ads depending on your niche and where your traffic comes from. Each type of advertising is going to have its pros and cons and it will be up to you to decide which route will bring in the most traffic for your blog.
- Guest blogging normally comes with a fee, but can introduce you to potential followers that are interested in the same type of content you post. You want to make sure that the blog you are partnering with has the same niche as you and has a higher traffic volume. Also, make sure that your guest post content is some of your best work. Remember that first impressions are everything and this will put you in front of potential long-term followers.